Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Well, we were out seven hours yesterday! Needless to say, when we got home last night I was exhausted. The visit with the medical oncologist went well. It seems they are proactive and have assured me that my questions will be answered and my calls returned so that is a BIG step forward. Other than that, the doc confirmed that the risks of chemo far outweigh the benefits. He is scheduling me with a radiation oncologist next week to find out about radiation possibilities. He is also moving my scan up a little and then will meet with me in two weeks to draft a plan. I also heard from MD Anderson yesterday and they say we need to wait for the scan before we determine anything. So, it was a good day of confirmation.

I've been thinking about the "what-ifs" of life alot these days and generally how it's so easy to let the "ifs" of life control how we respond in our daily lives. Very often they are excuses for not moving ahead in positive ways. Fear is certainly paralyzing. We've got to live for TODAY, people!

Sometimes we say things like "when I make more money, I will give more" or "when I have more time, I will volunteer" or "if I was talented like you, I'd serve too".

Why do we "rest" in futures we may never have or at other times "dwell" in pasts that we cannot change or relive? I truly believe God is interested in what we do TODAY - in the times when we feel we have nothing left to give - in the times when we close our ears to one more plea - in the times when we say we don't have time - or times when we use our personal perception of our lack of talent or ability as an excuse not to act.

Would you fail to make a difference today because you think there will be plenty of opportunities tomorrow? Don't let today's opportunities pass you by - an opportunity to praise God, an opportunity to encourage someone, an opportunity to say "I love you", an opportunity to lend a helping hand, give a dollar, give a hug. THIS is the meaning of life: to worship God and serve others. So do your best today, make choices that count, live every day as if it were your last, live without regrets ... HERE AND NOW.

But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. Psalm 33:11

No comments: