The crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas, and the magistrates ordered them to be stripped and beaten. After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully. Upon receiving such orders, he put them in the inner cell and fastened their feet in the stocks. About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody's chains came loose. Acts 16:22-26
You know what I'm trying to figure out? That JOY thing. I am confident of God's love for me, am confident that He is my protector and healer. I have His peace. I understand sacrifice and obedience and His provision for me. That alone should make me rejoice, right?
I read about Paul and Silas singing in the jail cell and having such JOY that they convinced others around them to believe. I know about being content in any circumstance ... but does mine count? :)
Certainly Paul and Silas couldn't be having a celebration that they were stripped, severely beaten and placed in a stock in a dark prison cell. In Habakkuk 3:17-18, certainly Habakkuk wasn't having a party because "the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls" but he then says "yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior."
Even if everything we hold dear is stripped away from us and our soul is severely beaten and we feel as if we are in a dark prison cell, we can still rejoice in our relationship with Him - at His gift of salvation - at the gift of His Holy Spirit - at the gift of His peace, provision and His love. THAT is where our joy comes from - Him. Our focus must be on His provision for us and not upon our circumstances. I will rejoice IN HIM and be joyful IN HIM ... and I'll keep working on being content in the circumstances:)
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:4-9
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment