Monday, March 24, 2008

In Christian service, the branches that bear the most fruit hang the lowest. Anonymous

It is with true humility (probably the purest humility ever) that Christ made Himself a man and ultimately suffered and died on a cross. He was God and by His nature could have chosen not to do this, but He did it FOR US. What an example of humility. What an example of love.

What an example to follow! I pray that we all can remain low branches - that bear great fruit and that never try to raise ourselves above the "lower limbs". It does the Kingdom absolutely no good for us to be the top limb and though we appear to be reaching toward the heavens, actually make no difference for those that are so desperately trying to find nourishment from the tree.

I've always been the happiest when I am able to plan, create and serve behind the scenes and let others be in the limelight. I truly love seeing other people succeed. Even though that is my heart, there are certainly times when my carnal nature peaks its selfish head out:)

I am so blessed to come from a family of servants. My grandfather on my dad's side was a music minister for over 50 years (in the same church) - I'm pretty sure he never got a penny for it. He did it for his love of music and his love of people (and there are many people who now owe their love of music to him). He loved the Lawrence Welk show - can't help but smile everytime I see a rerun!

My mom's parents both served so faithfully for so many years - I think my Papa Jake mowed the church lawn for 50 years and probably did more auto repair for free than for charge as a self-employed mechanic! My granny served in every way possible in the church until she has been homebound in the last few years to take care of Papa Jake. My mom has served in every possible capacity in the church and in the public schools for years. I am married to a man who would give the shirt off of his back to help someone in need (we have stories to tell!) I have other family members too that are so generous. What a Godly example! What an example of running counter-cultural - especially in today's society. That is the motivation for my work ethic - that I would serve and would serve well (and if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well:)

Just this morning, my granny emailed me to tell me that she had been praying that God would let her bear some of my pain. Well, she fell on her back porch on Friday and hurt her hip:) I told her no more praying to take my pain!

Servanthood is my example and servanthood is my purpose. We are no good to a dying world if we aren't meeting their needs and providing the nourishment they need to make it onto the tree.
"Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:43-45

1 comment:

Julie W said...

I am in constant prayer for you as you return for your visit on Tuesday. Our Father is faithful!