Sunday, March 16, 2008

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-42

So I am all things Martha. Besides the fact that I cannot control what's going on ... I can't see the end either. This project cannot be planned and executed in a timely manner!

If you know me well at all, you know I can cram a boatload of "progress" into one day. If something can possibly be done, I will get it done. I will normally stay up until unreasonable times of the night making sure all projects are complete or at least reasonably in order. It drives John crazy:) The house has to be "reasonably" picked up and all of life must be "reasonably" in order before I can sleep. It's a sickness, isn't it???

So I've been sitting here almost five weeks and very little progress has been made. Guess what? The world is spinning, projects are still being completed without me and my house and family are still functioning even with laundry and dishes to be done - AMAZING!

What can I learn from this? Perhaps that I need to give a little more grace - to others and to myself. Perhaps that I need to quit spending so much time on "things that most people don't care about". That's what my friend Randy says about me:) Perhaps I need to be still a little more so I can hear what God is saying to me! He says AMAZING things when we take time to listen.

Time spent with Him and with those I love is certainly time well-spent.

Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD. Proverbs 8:34-35

2 comments:

Natalie Jager said...

Hi Tana! It's Natalie Childers Jager from San Diego. Do you remember me? Gaylene keeps me updated and now I have found your blog, so I can keep up to date and pray! I've had just a few minutes to browse the pages, but wanted to tell you how inspired I am. You are a living testimony- and your words have a timely message in my life. I'll share more of that some other time. You are in our prayers. God is in control!
Blessings,
Natalie
thejagers@cox.net

TanaBanana said...

Hi Natalie - of course I remember you. Thanks for your encouragement. Your friendship means a lot to me. Be enocuraged!