Wednesday, March 5, 2008

So I've been waiting on the doctor to call for two days and he did call this afternoon, but really didn't say much except that I will have appointments with a medical oncologist and a radiation oncologist at Baylor in Dallas sometime soon (THAT doesn't sound extremely promising:)

It seems like I feel physically "good" about every other day so far. My strength is ridiculously diminished! Today I did make it down and back up the stairs twice so this is a new record:) I'm going to try to keep building on that. I'm still able to do quite a bit of work on the computer so I am thankful for that.

Some of you have asked about any predisposition to the cancer. There is not much:) My dad's parents both had geriatric cancer around age 70+ (liver and prostate). No one else on either side of the family has had any cancer issues. I eat well and am in pretty good physical shape. I work a lot (but a lot of people do!) and am a busy wife and mother.

As far as how this started, I did go through a period around the holidays where I felt extremely tired (but doesn't everybody around the holidays?) On New Year's Day while at the farm, I felt a "pop" in my hip area and from there it become increasingly difficult to walk. I also noticed just before diagnosis that I was getting out of breath just going up a couple of flights of stairs which was not "normal" for me (but just thought I needed to get more exercise!)

So, that's it! I am reminded again that my body is not my own - that I live to serve Christ - that I am not in control - and that I will daily surrender my life to Him. What He does with it will ultimately be good. In the midst of "hell on earth" I will have His limitless peace and joy in my heart and as long as I have breath and strength to do so, I will honor Him with my life.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. I Corinthians 6:19-20

No comments: