Today we met with the doctor. He says we will wait for the results from the Boston conference on May 1 (two weeks) to determine the plan of attack. IF Boston accepts me for Proton treatment, then we will proceed with that. If they turn me down, we will proceed with conventional radiation here in Dallas. He says the radiation does not help the Grade 1 chondrosarcoma but could help any remnants of the Grade 4 chondrosarcoma.
Even though the tumor was only 15% aggressive, they have to treat it as if it were all aggressive. There is a chance the radiation will decrease the chance of recurrence but if the tumor does recur, they will proceed with the major surgery. We have opted to stay here in Dallas for the surgery if that occurs.
I asked him about the pain. He said at this point, the pain may be temporary from the physical therapy or may just be a part of my life as long as I have a "compromised" hip joint because of the lack of cartilage and the portions removed in surgery. So - on to pain management for that! IF we don't have to do the major surgery (pray that we don't!) then he will do hip replacement approximately four years after radiation therapy is completed - whew! I will continue to have scans every three months during this time.
So God and I had a little 5:00 am meeting this morning. I prayed once again that he will take the cancer away and that I will not have to have the major surgery:) He could take it away in an instant, you know?! Looks like the radiation is inevitable at the point - either here or in Boston.
So, I need to press on and start trying to live life as best I can. I will go to complete the pre-radiation setup on Wednesday at Baylor so that if we decide to proceed in Dallas, I can start radiation treatment the first week of May.
I do feel like we have a solid plan now and I feel like I know what I am dealing with physically. Thank you thank you for praying for my sleep and for my pain. God does answer your prayers! Please pray that God's will would be done and that He will direct the doctors (and us) as we continue to walk this journey.
He is faithful - He is sovereign - He is worthy of our praise!
Friday, April 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment