Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Have you ever felt like you were walking in the snow, uphill for the 100th day in a row just to be put in a torture chamber for fifteen minutes? That's kind of how I feel - except the snowy uphill road is the Tollway and the torture chamber is radiation (but the people there are really nice if that's any consolation!)

I read a great article today in the Dallas Morning News. I will link to it below if you want to read the whole thing. One of my favorite quotes is from the article is "...if you fight, you can win. And if you don't fight, you will lose and are a loser. In truth, cancer doesn't care whether you fight". Of course I want to fight - but yet I realize that my fighting won't necessarily bring about "victory" in the human sense. It's a tough battle, you know??

The author acknowledges that we have a "mistaken belief that we have more control over our fate than we do." That takes pressure off of me -- I keep thinking that if I just fight and just have a positive attitude that I can improve my circumstances. The truth is that those things are fine and good but ultimately I've got to rest in God's hand and realize that He is control.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/columnists/jforeman/stories/DN-nh_foreman1_0617liv.ART.State.Edition1.4da0754.html

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference. Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments: